Punch hole display, also known as hole-punch display or camera cutout display, is a design that maximizes the screen-to-body ratio and minimizes the bezels combining the selfie camera directly into the display.
At first, this display was installed on the Samsung Galaxy A8s around December 2018. At the time, the Galaxy A8s featured a circular cutout in the top left corner of the screen to house the selfie camera. This design was like a setting sun for the notch design that was popularized by the iPhone X in 2017.
After that, many smartphone manufacturers have adopted these displays in their devices. Samsung continued to use this design in its Galaxy A series and Galaxy S series smartphones as it gained popularity among smartphone users. Other companies like Huawei, OnePlus, Motorola, and Xiaomi have also released devices with punch-hole displays in different shapes and sizes. Benco S1 also has this design, which has been reviewed by one of our reviewers.
These displays are typically oval and are located in the top center or top corner of the screen. It houses a selfie camera and sometimes additional sensors like ambient light sensors or proximity sensors. Its size varies depending on the smartphone manufacturers and models.
Pros of Punch Hole display:
- Increased body-to-screen ratio: This results in an immersive viewing experience and offers a larger viewing area for the users. You can watch videos on a bigger screen.
- Retained Front Camera Functionality: Users can still click photos, record videos and use facial recognition features without compromising camera quality and performance.
- Aesthetically Pleasing Design: This display blends more with the screen, providing a better design to the display.
Cons of Punch Hole display:
- Visual Distraction: This display seems like a disturbance to the viewing area especially when you are watching videos. The videos will be a black water droplet-like structure hiding some parts of the videos.
- Limited Placement Options: Manufacturers won’t get more options while placing it over the display screen as it needs to be adjusted in a proper place.
- Hamper website: Many websites over the internet are not well designed to get adapted for the punch hole display. So, it may not be good to view those websites better.
These displays are out of the way when it comes to providing a body-to-screen viewing experience. Due to this aesthetic feature, this design has been gaining popularity among smartphone users in the market. This is our future as this design creates an exclusive immersive viewing experience for smartphone users. As a reviewer for this website, I would love to say that I am in love with this design. After watching the latest movies, I found that this design is better when it comes to watching videos with unlimited screen capacity.